Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Step 2 - February - Tin Heart

I'm excited to say that I have completed step 2 - February's project - of my JA (Jewel-aholics Anonymous) 12-step program from my earlier post "My Addiction".


It's no surprise that I would choose to make a heart themed necklace considering it is February. It may surprise you however, to find out what the heart is made of.

A 50 cent thrifted tin canister!


And, of course, some jewels from my addiction stash.


I used tin snips to cut a heart shape from the red part of the can. I also cut 4 small rectangles (not pictured) to use as links. Wear safety glasses and leather work gloves when cutting tin.



I hammered and scratched the surface of each piece with sand paper  to add some texture. I sanded, applied copper tape and soldered the edges of each piece and put them in a pickle solution for a couple of minutes to remove the flux. The pickle solution darkened the
tin in areas - even the back looks kinda cool!

 

I removed the pin back of a vintage brooch and glued it to the top center of the heart. Once the glue was dry, I applied some
ICE Resin® to each piece and let it cure for several hours.

 

I needed some holes in the pieces so I used this
handy little tool that easily drills through thin metal.


I added a pearl drop to the pendant. I fashioned the chain from bits and pieces of gold and pearl rosary chain (both from my stash)
along with the tin links that I made.
 

 


I've made a few more necklaces from vintage tins but I have plans for them and will have to save them for later to share with you.

Below is where you can check out my other
JA (Jewel-aholics Anonymous) projects.
January - "Snowflake"
March - "Good Luck Wishes"
June - "It's Heating Up"
July - "Golden Dreams"
Bonus Project - "Masquerade Mask"

16 comments:

  1. You Rock Kat!! Can I borrow some of those creative brain cells!! Hugs,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is beautiful! Thanks for linking up at our 14 Days of Valentines linky party! Fantastic!
    -Molly
    from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  3. That necklace is adorable. You are so amazingly creative.

    Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful week,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    how clever! Your necklace is adorable, and made out of a tin, wow! You are so creative, it's perfect for February! I'd reward you with a cupcake if I could!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I would never have guessed you made that necklace from a tin canister. Wonderful job. :)

    (I saw someone make a beaded cuff using metal she'd cut from a cookie tin. I'm just itching to try that. But I'll need Mr. Sequin's man strength to do the cutting.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative! Love the heart ~ especially since my birthday is on Valentine’s Day! February and hearts...my two favorite things ;o}

    Barb
    Vivi Magoo Presents

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! I love that it's made from an old tin--very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great!
    Please come share at:
    www.feedingnineonadime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my Goodness, Kathy... I would've never guessed what you made this out of! We are kindred spirits in the recycling-upcycling realm :) Thanks SO much for sharing this GORGEOUS necklace at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create! So perfect for Valentines
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! That's just amazing. I am so impressed right now! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful project at Shine on Fridays; hope you'll be back again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love to see how that creative mind of yours works - recycling unusual items. Thanks for sharing the details and for the lessons you are giving. The photos are great and so easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This turned out great!! What a fabulous piece. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are featured tonight over at I Gotta Create!!
    Thanks for linking up <3 <3
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/02/kiss-tell-features-week-5-new-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so gorgeous! WOW! I love your style! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your Blog! You are truly an inspiration! I've been quietly coming to your blog for jewelry making tips and tutorials and I realized after talking with Tina that you are coming to Art Camp in a couple of weeks. I'm so excited to meet you and I hope to sit close to you at Art Camp so maybe some of your talent will rub off! If not, at least the gumption to tear apart someones jewelry to make it much more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really in depth, you did some seriously creative work on making this piece. Wow I am very impressed. I like it a lot! The tear drop pearl and bow with the chain and how you made the heart itself is all fabulous ideas!
    VERY COOL!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy