Friday, October 28, 2011

Butterfly - final design of a Girl and her SHOES series!

Welcome to the final post of  "a Girl and her SHOES" series. If you missed the original post, you may want to check it out here to see what inspired this series.

The butterfly is a much loved creature. We see it used in home decor, clothing, accessories, paper products and much more. It is admired for its beauty and grace but most of all, it is a symbol of transformation.

I thought it appropriate that my final shoe transformation
would be a tribute to the lovely butterfly.

The shoes. I loved the design on these shoes when I first spotted them at the thrift store but unfortunately they were not on the discounted ticket. So I waited until they were the
half off sticker for the day, and lucky for me, they were still there!

I cut out around the stitched area of one shoe, removed the bow and this is when I noticed that the design resembled a butterfly. I enjoy these types of happy little surprises! I lightly scuffed up the leather and rubbed it with some brown permanent ink (for stamping) to add character and age and then added the pearls for color and texture.


I didn't want to use the bow but the braided lacing was pretty cool, so I incorporated
it to act as a way to attach the handmade pearl links. I finished the piece off with
a copper chain and a handcrafted hook clasp.


I've had a lot of fun creating for "a Girl and her SHOES" series! I hope it has inspired you to be like the butterfly...willing to make a transformation and let your imagination take flight!


Sharing with: It's Overflowing: Overflowing with Creativity


Featured at Too Much time on my hands
 

9 comments:

  1. Another striking necklace. I love the way you threaded the pearls though the design on the shoe. I think I will be seeing this shoe series in a stampington publication : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing - I would never have thought of taking that part of the show and creating something so fab! I have loved this series, thanks for showing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you done with all the shoes! I'll never look at garage sale shoes the same way again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The necklace is beautiful, and the concept is just awesome. I have a pair of purple leather shoes that I love, and when they wear out, I don't want to just throw them away!

    I guess I don't have to. :)

    -- Sarah, who found your blog through Flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great piece! It's funny that you wait for the sale price...I do the same thing. I just hate paying full price, even at the thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a transformation ! you're totally creative

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, your creations are simply amazing. I'm your newest fan and looking forward to what you create next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these ideas! I feel so inspired on this otherwise dreary day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy